- Modeling Credentials. (editorial) In the July 8th issue of Nature Biotechnology, the editor argues that the “time has come to systematically assess the pros and cons of different mouse models as predictors of patient responses to cancer therapies,” and cites the recent commitment by the National Cancer Institute to encourage the validation of mouse models through new grant mechanisms.
- The Ras-Erk-ETS-Signaling Pathway Is a Drug Target for Longevity. Researchers have shown that the drug trametinib, an inhibitor of the Ras pathway, can increase the lifespan of adult Drosophila by 12 percent.
- Apc Restoration Promotes Cellular Differentiation and Reestablishes Crypt Homeostasis in Colorectal Cancer/a>.
- Drug Trials In Pet Dogs With Cancer May Speed Advances In Human Oncology.
- Nrf2-dependent Suppression of Azoxymethane/Dextran Sulfate Sodium-induced Colon Carcinogenesis by the Cinnamon-derived Dietary Factor Cinnamaldehyde.
- Non-Toxic Metabolic Management of Metastatic Cancer in VM Mice: Novel Combination of Ketogenic Diet, Ketone Supplementation, and Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy.
- Programmable Probiotics for Detection of Cancer in Urine. Researchers have developed a probiotic strain of E. coli that can detect liver metastases in a mouse model using a lacZ reporter.
- The Hypoxic Cancer Secretome Induces Pre-metastatic Bone Lesions Through Lysyl Oxidase. Reporting in Nature, researchers used a syngeneic model of ER-negative breast cancer to dissect the role of LOX in promoting bone metastasis.
- Mouse Genome Engineering via CRISPR-Cas9 for Study of Immune Function. A review with a focus on immune-system functions.
- miR-182 Integrates Apoptosis, Growth, and Differentiation Programs in Glioblastoma. Researchers investigated the anticancer effects of miR-182 in an orthotopic glioblastoma multiforme xenograft mouse model.
- Comprehensive Models of Human Primary and Metastatic Colorectal Tumors in Immunodeficient and Immunocompetent Mice by Chemokine Targeting.
- Small Molecule MYC Inhibitor Conjugated to Integrin-targeted Nanoparticles Extends Survival in a Mouse Model of Disseminated Multiple Myeloma.
- Programming a Human Commensal Bacterium, Bacteroides thetaiotaomicron, to Sense and Respond to Stimuli in the Murine Gut Microbiota.
- From Gigabyte to Kilobyte: A Bioinformatics Protocol for Mining Large RNA-Seq Transcriptomics Data. Researchers used data derived from multiple organisms, including mouse, to demonstrate and validate the utility of a new open-source application termed RNAMiner.
- A Reanalysis of Mouse ENCODE Comparative Gene Expression Data [v1; ref status: indexed, http://f1000r.es/5ez].
- Pancreatic Cancer Exosomes Initiate Pre-metastatic Niche Formation in the Liver. Reporting in Nature Cell Biology, researchers used a mouse model of pancreatic cancer progression to identify mechanisms underlying metastatic spread to liver.
- Functionally Defined Therapeutic Targets in Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma. The multi-histone deacetylase inhibitor panobinostat proved efficacious in slowing disease progression in an orthotopic mouse model. Panobinostat was also shown to act synergistically when combined with the histone demethylase inhibitorGSK-J4.
- Differential Fc-Receptor Engagement Drives an Anti-tumor Vaccinal Effect.
- Therapeutic Inhibition of TRF1 Impairs the Growth of p53-deficient K-RasG12V-induced Lung Cancer by Induction of Telomeric DNA Damage.
- Silencing β3 Integrin by Targeted ECO/siRNA Nanoparticles Inhibits EMT and Metastasis of Triple-Negative Breast Cancer.
- MYC Regulates the Core Pre-mRNA Splicing Machinery as an Essential Step in Lymphomagenesis. In Nature, investigators report using Eμ-myc transgenic mice to show how MYC contributes to lymphomagenesis.
- Allogeneic IgG Combined with Dendritic Cell Stimuli Induce Antitumour T-cell Immunity. Stanford University scientists report eradicating tumors in mouse models of pancreatic, lung, and breast cancer as well as melanoma using tumor-binding IgG antibodies. The study appears in Nature.
- Molecular Evolution of the Hyaluronan Synthase 2 Gene in Mammals: Implications for Adaptations to the Subterranean Niche and Cancer Resistance. The subject of the study was the naked mole rat, Heterocephalus glaber.
- Canine Urothelial Carcinoma: Genomically Aberrant and Comparatively Relevant.
- XactMice: Humanizing Mouse Bone Marrow Enables Microenvironment Reconstitution in a Patient-derived Xenograft Model of Head and Neck Cancer.
- Translation of Genomics-guided RNA-based Personalised Cancer Vaccines: Towards the Bedside. As reported in Nature, mutation-targeted RNA -based vaccines can be custom developed for individual patients and affordably synthesized as GMP drug products.
- Transposon Mutagenesis Identifies Genetic Drivers of Braf(V600E) Melanoma.
- Isoflavones in Soy Flour Diet Have Different Effects on Whole-genome Expression Patterns Than Purified Isoflavone Mix in Human MCF-7 Breast Tumors in Ovariectomized Athymic Nude Mice.
- T Cell Metabolism. The Protein LEM Promotes CD8⁺ T Cell Immunity Through Effects on Mitochondrial Respiration. As reported in Science, researchers used the wild-type C57BL/6 mice with the clone 13 variant of lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus (LCMV C13) in this study. “LEM” stands for lymphocyte expression molecule, a recently discovered protein that is also found in humans.
- Tumourigenic Canine Osteosarcoma Cell lines Associated With Frizzled-6 Up-regulation and Enhanced Side Population Cell Frequency.
- Malignant Drosophila Tumors Interrupt Insulin Signaling to Induce Cachexia-like Wasting.
- Estrogen Receptor α Inhibitor Activates the Unfolded Protein Response, Blocks Protein Synthesis, and Induces Tumor Regression. Researchers at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign studied the effects of the small-molecule BHPI estrogen receptor α receptor in a mouse xenograft model of breast cancer, as reported in PNAS.
- An In Vivo Chemical Genetic Screen Identifies Phosphodiesterase 4 as a Pharmacological Target for Hedgehog Signaling Inhibition. Scientists have identified eggmanone, a small molecule that inhibits elements of the Hedgehog pathway including phosphodiesterase 4 (PDE4), using a genetic zebrafish screen.
- The BRAF pseudogene functions as a competitive endogenous RNA and induces lymphoma in vivo. The researchers used mice engineered to overexpress the full-length murine pseudogene or its pseudo CDS or 3’ UTR.